new plywood tank build diary

Filters,heaters ,etc and all construction tips

Re: new plywood tank build diary

Postby mossy on 29 Oct 2012 21:52

apistodiscus wrote:
davey_c wrote:@ holger.... tbh neither are any of my other tanks :lol: ... don't think its that far off level but i'll check it when i find my level

OK, what I meant the reinforcements you put across the stand are not quite flush with length of timbers that run along the length of the tank

would say they are flush
think its just that the 4x2 he used is rounded at the edges as its the type used for studding
we live in a society where the pizza arrives quicker than the garda
mossy
Sub Adult
Sub Adult

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby apistodiscus on 29 Oct 2012 22:16

have a look at the one on the right. Definitely not flush
You can't fix stupid.
apistodiscus
MFKA Chairman
MFKA Chairman

Postby davey_c on 29 Oct 2012 23:42

sorry pal but they are flush, as mossy says, its the curved edges that are giving you like an optical illusion (had to make sure myself so rechecked :lol: )
below tank is for sale

my tank build
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=17405
davey_c
Adult
Adult

Postby apistodiscus on 30 Oct 2012 08:55

cool. Build away then
You can't fix stupid.
apistodiscus
MFKA Chairman
MFKA Chairman

Postby jakepittbull on 15 Nov 2012 13:56

Any updates on this monster ?
jakepittbull
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby davey_c on 15 Nov 2012 17:15

not yet unfortunately jake... i'd love to be able to keep it going but trying to get xmas sorted is slowing it down a bit.
i picked up the black epoxy pigment and 2 grp rollers though so almost have what i need for that part of it if i can only get the woodwork finished :lol:
below tank is for sale

my tank build
davey_c
Adult
Adult

Postby mossy on 15 Nov 2012 17:44

davey_c wrote:not yet unfortunately jake... i'd love to be able to keep it going but trying to get xmas sorted is slowing it down a bit.
i picked up the black epoxy pigment and 2 grp rollers though so almost have what i need for that part of it if i can only get the woodwork finished :lol:

come on davey get the finger out :lol:
we live in a society where the pizza arrives quicker than the garda
mossy
Sub Adult
Sub Adult

Postby apistodiscus on 15 Nov 2012 19:58

you won't need the rollers with the epoxy you are using. A brush will do fine. The stuff is fairly runny and you will get the air bubbles out of the matting with no problems
You can't fix stupid.
apistodiscus
MFKA Chairman
MFKA Chairman

Postby davey_c on 15 Nov 2012 20:26

apistodiscus wrote:you won't need the rollers with the epoxy you are using. A brush will do fine. The stuff is fairly runny and you will get the air bubbles out of the matting with no problems

the rollers are paddle rollers because i was considering doing the whole inside with woven roving cloth... i can get 10m of 300gsm for relatively cheap so was considering it. i'll be getting 1 of those big emulsion brushes for brushing it on.

if the link works this is the type of rollers for those who mightn't know

below tank is for sale

my tank build
davey_c
Adult
Adult

Postby apistodiscus on 15 Nov 2012 22:14

You needn't glass fibre the whole tank. Should you decide to do so, however, you need to add a layer of glass fibre Matt with every layer of epoxy. It's overkill
You can't fix stupid.
apistodiscus
MFKA Chairman
MFKA Chairman

Postby davey_c on 15 Nov 2012 22:54

ye don't have to lay up matt with every layer of epoxy! you can add a layer between several layer of epoxy to help prevent hair cracks in the resin. considering the tank is frameless the ply may move slightly regardless of thickness so to help strengthen the epoxy i was considering applying some woven roving after a couple of layers of epoxy. woven roving isn't the same as matt but works much better with epoxy. that was my logic behind it and open to criticism :lol:
have used matt before with polyester resin and found it a pain to get the bubbles out of without a proper roller.
below tank is for sale

my tank build
davey_c
Adult
Adult

Postby davey_c on 03 Dec 2012 19:53

a few pictures....

for the front/back panels 1st i cut the lenght and then the height, offcuts will be used for bracing the top of the tank.

then for the front panel i measured in the thickness of the plywood (the front will be screwed to the bottom and sides as will be shown later) and an extra 2" for the corner braces (will also be seen later) because that gave me the approx glass size.... thats the blue line.... the inner pencil line is a 2" flange allowed the whole way around for a decent space to bed in the glass with silicone. these measurments are aproximate to give a window cutout size

then i cut the window out! using a holesaw i drilled the 4 corners and then cut the straights with my battery saw's. enery straight cut is done using a straight edge and this time i used a plywood offcut to make it handy.

and here's our window!!... oh i forgot to say, before i cut the window out i measured the aprox glass lenght (blue line to blue line) and compared it to the diagonal lenght of the opening (corner to corner of the pencil line)... the opening was a tad small but only by .5".... alot i hear you say??... well when its devided over both sides then the glass only needs to be .25" shorter either side so still 1.75 for bedding in the glass which is plenty.

below tank is for sale

my tank build
davey_c
Adult
Adult

Postby apistodiscus on 03 Dec 2012 23:01

Nice to see some progress. You'll need 4-5 braces to keep this from bowing. Now, glue and screw and start painting that thing :lol:
You can't fix stupid.
apistodiscus
MFKA Chairman
MFKA Chairman

Postby davey_c on 04 Dec 2012 00:11

:lol: its gettin dragged out already :lol:
gettin christmas sorted is making it time consuming but any how i'm gonna cut the braces (4 of course :) ) and glue/screw it together without the sides for the moment, i can fit them when i get the last sheet of ply.
below tank is for sale

my tank build
davey_c
Adult
Adult

Postby apistodiscus on 04 Dec 2012 09:14

Don't or else you will have no way of sliding the pane of glass in. Built the entire box first and laminate with epoxy. Leave to dry and glue in the glass. You'll need 3-4 310ml cartridges for this. Get 3-4 bags of sand (I used silica sand bags and the the silica sand was used as a substrate later. Glueing in the glass will be easier if you have somebody to help you. Basically lift in the (cleaned) pane of glass and get the second person to hold it up on what will be the bottom edge. Apply silicone and slowly bring down the glass and lay sand bags on the glass so that there is even pressure along the edges. Now go along the edges of the glass and apply some more silicone. Smooth out the silicone out with a finger dipped into soapy water. Clean hand with baby whipes (nothing else will get silicone off as good as baby whipes!!!!!).
Fire a couple of damp rags on top of the glass. This will help the silicone to cure faster. Leave for 48 hours to make sure all the silicone is cured. In the meanwhile you can cut your braces to size and laminate them with epoxy as well.
Once the silicone has completely cured you cab screw in your braces (drill pilot holes to avoid splitting the timber. Apply some silicone where the braces meet the tank and smooth out the silicone. Another job for the baby whipes...
You can't fix stupid.
apistodiscus
MFKA Chairman
MFKA Chairman

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment and D.I.Y