Here it goes

Introduce yourself and tell us about your fish.

Here it goes

Postby SebTheCubbyFox on 02 Jun 2011 20:31

Hi All,

After some time around here I finally decided to drop few words about myself and my fishes :D
I started not so long ago, think it was August last, when my girlfriend figured she’d love to have a fish. Great, I said. So she wanted a ‘Nemo’ :P and this is how my research into fish keeping started.
We started with 3 goldfishes in a small 30l bowl :/, when we quickly realised marines are for ‘pros’, if you know what I mean. I know, please don’t kill me over the goldies in a bowl:P – but I had Fluval 105 filter hooked up on it so it was grant and it was fun... Now when I look back it was a good experience, I guess...
So we have done everything the way my girlfriend wanted, and it looked like that:

I know... this is kinda embarrassing :P when I look back, what I was thinking...
We got rid of goldies pretty much after a month... as I was reading and reading and reading about ‘proper’ fish keeping. I learnt a lot during that time and decided I wanted to keep tropical fishes :D So took the whole tank down, ordered some plants on internet, bought proper substrate etc. and this is what I have end up with for the next few months:

Had cardinals in it, as a matter of fact still have them all today, but they are in a totally different set up now. The plants grew crazy fast (I had DIY CO2 also hooked up on it) – I was experimenting, I must admit.

As I was going along I was learning a lot, internet, my local fish shops etc. and one day we decided to get a bigger tank. Were looking for something in a range of 120-160l as we do not have much space now in our apartment, so finally decided on Osaka 155. Very nice tank I must admit. And very much suitable for the angelfish we very much wanted to accommodate. :D

After 5 weeks of cycling the filter (I was using some media from the small tank and household ammonia I got in HomeBase and it still took that long). Adding ammonia every day, testing water everyday... after 49 days the tank finally cycled...

I must admit it was frustrating to see the empty tank, but when it finally cycled I was very exited and started planting and here it was:

Day 1:

Day 3:

Day 7 (after 3 days, I moved some of the tetras to a big tank and on day 7 I got 6 blue angelfish :D

2 weeks:

A month:

You know yourself it always looks better live... But when you look back at the photos it is amazing how it all grows so fast.
Now we have 23 cardinals, 6 angels, 4 ottos, 2 SAEs, about 10 amano shrimps, 3 RCSs and 1 fan shrimp.
Here are some photos of our Angels, fan shrimp and the whole tank:

So the project was over :P

Theres been few upgrades since, ie. got rid of plastic piping and replaced them with glassy 'ada' style in/out flow.

The next thing I wanted was to get rid of the bowl and replace it with something more rectangular :D so got this 2ft clearseal tank and took down the whole lot and over few hours managed this:

There is currently 5 cardinals in it, 11 rummynoses, and about 40 red cherries and 3 amano shrimps, 1 otto and 2 juvenile SAEs :D

Above are tiny little shrimps :D in a small breeder :D

From technical point of view:
Filter – fluval 105 on 70l and fluval 205 on 155 with UV clarifier.
Both tanks have pressurised CO2 systems hooked up on a PH computer :D I dose ferts every day (I use easylife range) and JBL 24 trace.
Light is 4 tubes 24W T5s each setup for 2x10 hours, 2x6 hours a day
I do 15-20% water changes every week, I prepare the water usually 24 hours before (have very soft water here), so I add a little bit of baking soda just to increase the alkalinity a bit so when it mixes with tank water it makes the CO2 work a bit harder and effectively enhance the plant growth.
Fish are fed twice a day, in the morning and in the evening... shrimps get their treats as well form time to time.

So these are our tanks... Questions?
SebTheCubbyFox
Fry
Fry

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Here it goes

Postby scubagit on 02 Jun 2011 21:23

One question. When can you plant out my tank??

Seriously nice looking tank there. A credit to you.
scubagit
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby joemc on 02 Jun 2011 22:13

great posting there, sure most everyone started with a goldfish in a bowl, some never progressed!
your sequence of pictures show the research and work you have put into your hobby and it is a credit to you, well done
Last edited by joemc on 02 Jun 2011 23:55, edited 1 time in total.

CLICK ON IMAGE FOR MORE INFO
All products are also available by PM in multiples of 50 grams.
joemc
MFKA grumpy old man
MFKA grumpy old man

Postby MrJackDempsey on 02 Jun 2011 22:39

Great progression there from the start to the present day, you really did a great job with planting your tanks and they're a credit to you both
Haven't lost my mind,just sold it on E-bay
MrJackDempsey
MFKA Treasurer
MFKA Treasurer

Postby Anthony on 02 Jun 2011 22:45

Tank looks great dude.
Keep up the good work..
Anthony
LFKS Chairman
LFKS Chairman

Postby Acara on 02 Jun 2011 23:22

Excellent post,I wish there were more even half as good a post as that.Enjoyed the read.
Fast on the track to a fish shed and divorce :lol:
"IT IS MORALLY WRONG, UNJUST AND UNFAIR TO TAX A PERSON'S HOME." ENDA KENNY, 1994.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car
Acara
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Glenn 10 on 02 Jun 2011 23:33

Nice looking tank there. Your making me want to set up a planted tank. :D
Just salt on my fish, tanks.Image
Glenn 10
Juvenile
Juvenile

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby mickdeja on 02 Jun 2011 23:44

Crackin thread there. Fairplay for all the pics and the ffort gone in to writing it all up. U will do well here on the forum. Thanks again for sharin yer experiences.

Mick... :D
mickdeja
Adult
Adult

Postby gerr on 02 Jun 2011 23:51

After reading your post and seeing the progression pics, i would say marines would not have been much of a problem for you.
Great post and smashing looking tank and thats a compliment coming from a salty ;)
gerr
Adult
Adult

Postby bandraoi dúchasach on 03 Jun 2011 00:02

well done ,you have a talent for it! ;)
Oh heavens..Shes in a right pickle now. As maybelle prepared dinner she unwittingly opened a can of whoop ass.
bandraoi dúchasach
Adult
Adult

Location: An uncomfortable computor chair in dungarvan co waterford.
Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby Wilhelmina on 03 Jun 2011 15:52

welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing,beautiful tank in short time! a credit to you ;)
Wilhelmina
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby igmillichip on 03 Jun 2011 19:57

Nice progression.
The tank at 4 months looks great.

Welcome to the forum.

ian
igmillichip
Adult
Adult

Postby SebTheCubbyFox on 03 Jun 2011 20:28

Thank you guys for all the warm words and welcomes... very much appreciated!
SebTheCubbyFox
Fry
Fry

Postby JimBoB on 03 Jun 2011 21:24

Welcome to the forum :D
JimBoB's Tank :D
JimBoB
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby Misky on 04 Jun 2011 14:33

VERY nice aquarium & welcome to the forum! :)
Misky
Fry
Fry

Return to About Me