Hard Water

Everything from Parameters to Algae blooms.

Hard Water

Postby Meathman on 08 Jan 2013 22:24

Hi guys, ok, basically every live plant I've got in the past 6 months has died within the month, I even bought fertiliser ans the co2 liquid thing, kept to regular doses and yet no plants thrived, all turned brown, whenever I do water tests, my water is very high on hardness, is this why my plants are dying? And any ideas on how to decrease hardness?
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
Meathman
Fry
Fry

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Hard Water

Postby paulbohs on 08 Jan 2013 22:55

Reverse osmosis or you could use harvested rain water. Personally I use reverse osmosis. What size is your tank? You can buy RO water in most fish shops for 4 euro for 20 liters or you can make your own. I could make you a couple of containers of it though if your tank is small. If your tank is big you'll have to get an RO unit or win the lotto
paulbohs
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby apistodiscus on 08 Jan 2013 23:12

try Vallisneria, if that also dies you have another issue
You can't fix stupid.
apistodiscus
MFKA Chairman
MFKA Chairman

Postby BlueRam on 08 Jan 2013 23:20

I would say use 50/50 RO and tap

I am in navan so if you are ever down this way drop me down as much water storage things as you have and ill give you as much RO as you need any time and can do it each week for you even if needs be

I dont like to see anyone paying for RO

Sean
7x2x2 White Clearseal Mixed Reef
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=17921

BlueRam
Adult
Adult

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Meathman on 08 Jan 2013 23:41

Wow blueram that's generous! I'm from trim so I might take u up on the offer! I dont fancy buying ro water either, But sounds like hassle for u! Place in Kilcock sells ro water, my tanks 180ltrs, I'll try that plant maybe and see, but either ways, the water is defo hard, wats reverse osmosis??
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
Meathman
Fry
Fry

Postby BlueRam on 08 Jan 2013 23:54

Meathman wrote:Wow blueram that's generous! I'm from trim so I might take u up on the offer! I dont fancy buying ro water either, But sounds like hassle for u! Place in Kilcock sells ro water, my tanks 180ltrs, I'll try that plant maybe and see, but either ways, the water is defo hard, wats reverse osmosis??

No hassle for me mate turn it on leave it and then its full i have a big RO unit so gets RO fast enough so more then welcome to pop down and i can fill them and you can pick up when ever suits always handy to have on hand in case you need to do a water change or that

have a read of this will give you an idea of RO water

http://chemistry.about.com/od/waterchem ... smosis.htm

Sean
7x2x2 White Clearseal Mixed Reef
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=17921

BlueRam
Adult
Adult

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Bonbon on 09 May 2016 09:31

Hi guys
Just wondering if anyone knows the name of the place in kilcock who sells the ro water or if there is anywhere closer to navan which sells it? I pass through kilcock on my way to work so can try catch the shop there if still operon my way home.
Thank you
Bonbon
Fry
Fry

Return to Water Chemistry