bog wood

Everything from Parameters to Algae blooms.

bog wood

Postby exprey79 on 17 Sep 2013 11:29

is using bog wood in your tank good for softing the water.i live in ireland so the water is hard anyway.i just started a fresh water tank i have a jewul rio 125 ltr with a jbl E 901 EXTERNAL FILTER SYSTEM .so fare i have put in it .
6 Neon Tetra.
4 Mollies.
1 male Betta.
2 female Betta.
1 Peppered Cory.
1 Bronze cory.
which all so fare seem to be doing great.
i want to add some more fish but i need to find a way to soften the water first when i got the water tested the PH was 6.9 and all the rest was fine the types of fish i want to add are a bit more sensitive to water conditions i also want to add
1 Snowball Pleco or 1 that is like that one

1 Dwarf Gourami
2 female Dwarf Gourami
1 Clown Loach
6 Red Cherry Shrimp
exprey79
Fry
Fry

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: bog wood

Postby igmillichip on 17 Sep 2013 12:18

Looking at the fish you have, and possibly suggesting that very few are wild caught, I am wondering why you need to soften the water.

Acids released from bogwood can soften water to a degree.

ian
igmillichip
Adult
Adult

Postby apistodiscus on 17 Sep 2013 13:52

Softening your water is the least of your troubles. Don't keep dwarf gouramis and bettas together. They will tear each other to shreds. The clown loach can grow to over a foot and they are best kept in groups so you would be better off getting some more Corydoras instead.

You don't mention any of your actual water parameters. Bogwood can lower both your pH and hardness but in very hard water the effect might be as small as not to have any effect.

Not all water in Ireland is hard. My tap water is very soft and has a pH of 6.2-6.5.
You can't fix stupid.
apistodiscus
MFKA Chairman
MFKA Chairman

Postby davey_c on 17 Sep 2013 20:18

To add to what apistodiscus said... cherry shrimp won't last long either ;)
I wouldn't rely on bogwood because it comes in good and bad forms... the good will do something for your water whereas the bad won't... I don't think it'll do what you want it to do! How are you testing for hardness? If you think it'll be a problem then choose your fish to suit your current water conditions which is what most (if not all) of us had to do untill we learned to alter water conditions safely. For the moment though keep your water consistent instead would be my advice.
below tank is for sale

my tank build
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=17405
davey_c
Adult
Adult

Return to Water Chemistry