Killifish in a 30 litre tank?

Special section for beginners to post.

Killifish in a 30 litre tank?

Postby Pavel on 30 May 2019 18:47

Hi, I am planning to get my own tank, most probably the Aquael Shrimp Set 30, and I am stuck on who I actually want in it. I am thinking about a betta (or dwarf gourami, but that's a whole different issue), or a trio of steel blue killifish. The main issue of this choice is whether it is even alright for the killifish to be kept in 30 litres. I cannot find a definitive source that gives the minimum amount of litres/gallons.
Last edited by Pavel on 31 May 2019 07:56, edited 1 time in total.
Pavel
Fry
Fry

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Killifish in a 30 litre tank?

Postby KenS on 30 May 2019 22:15

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. I wouldn't keep anything long term in a 30l tank. You'll really struggle to keep the water parameters stable. Can you stretch to a 60l? It will give you more options and make your life easier.
Regards,

Ken
KenS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Pavel on 01 Jun 2019 21:04

The thing is, I've heard that 30 litre tanks are some of the easier nano tanks to maintain. The problem I have is limited space. I found one spot for a small aquarium near the TV (is it alright for the fish to be near the TV with all the sounds?), and it measures approximately 50cm by 40cm, and there's not much you can get with that. The good news is, the Aqua Nano and the bigger Fluval Flex can just about fit. So I'll see. But the question will still be the same, will a trio of steel blue killifish be alright in a 57-8 litre tank?
Pavel
Fry
Fry

Postby KenS on 03 Jun 2019 14:11

Three Killifish should be ok in that size tank, but it's not ideal. Should be ok beside the TV, they'll get used to it once it's not too loud.
Regards,

Ken
KenS
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Beginners