Hammer coral Placement

Discussion section for sps and lps corals.

Hammer coral Placement

Postby JennyF on 23 Apr 2011 04:26

Got myself some corals today (yay :lol: )

And I'm just curious as to where to place a hammer coral, from what I've read they like only moderate lighting.

I'm running this tank with a 150watt halide and a 55watt T5 fixture, so how low/high should this coral be placed away from this lighting? At the moment I have it quite high, but the halides were only on for 3 hours today so I'm not worried yet, tomorrow I'll find a better place for it.

The tank itself is only 200litre - around 2 foot (or so no proper measurements) wide and just under 2 foot deep I'd say, it's a betta cube type.

So where would be the best place for this coral? I'm also worried that the water flow may be too much for it, but I have some quieter spots mid/low tank.
JennyF
Sub Adult
Sub Adult

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Hammer coral Placement

Postby 40+ on 23 Apr 2011 07:50

I have a 150MH on my cube and the MH is on for about 7 hours a day. I started off with the hammer mid tank but ended up moving it to the bottom.

So long as the flow dosen't blow it around too much, it will be fine, lots of movement.
40+
Sub Adult
Sub Adult

Postby JennyF on 23 Apr 2011 12:46

40+ wrote:I have a 150MH on my cube and the MH is on for about 7 hours a day. I started off with the hammer mid tank but ended up moving it to the bottom.

So long as the flow dosen't blow it around too much, it will be fine, lots of movement.

Thanks a mill, I reckon I'll have fun experimenting with where each coral should go, I'm only used to mushrooms and polyps really :lol:
JennyF
Sub Adult
Sub Adult

Postby Will@PowderBlue on 23 Apr 2011 14:22

Dont put it in any direct flow just have it so the tenticals are waving nice and slow!

As for lighting better off starting low and moving up rather than having a change of light shock!

Somewhere around the middle and off centre should be a good spot!

A step up from the mushies, the hammer will have much more character!
No one here gets out alive
Will@PowderBlue
Sub Adult
Sub Adult

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby JennyF on 23 Apr 2011 15:01

Will@PowderBlue wrote:Dont put it in any direct flow just have it so the tenticals are waving nice and slow!

As for lighting better off starting low and moving up rather than having a change of light shock!

Somewhere around the middle and off centre should be a good spot!

A step up from the mushies, the hammer will have much more character!

I currently have it at the bottom, a large piece of live rock is breaking up the current a bit so at the moment I'm happy, it's currently waving slowly in the current.

Do you mean starting low as in general? I normally start my tank with just the 55watt fixture for an hour and then the halide kicks in, or do you mean build up the intense halide lighting over a few days?
JennyF
Sub Adult
Sub Adult

Postby robbiesreef on 23 Apr 2011 16:50

Any corals new corals i get out of the shops go on the sandbed for a couple of days to let them get use to the lights that way you wont shock them
robbiesreef
Adult
Adult

Postby gerr on 23 Apr 2011 17:18

robbiesreef wrote:Any corals new corals i get out of the shops go on the sandbed for a couple of days to let them get use to the lights that way you wont shock them

Change of heart Robbie? Few weeks ago you questioned me when i mentioned lights shocking corals on shanes post ;) :lol:
gerr
Adult
Adult

Postby Will@PowderBlue on 23 Apr 2011 17:29

No just keep the coral low then after a week or so bring him up to the middle.

Keep with the t5 first followed by the halide, then halide off followed by the t5 so as you dont shock any corals!!

good job! :D
No one here gets out alive
Will@PowderBlue
Sub Adult
Sub Adult

Postby robbiesreef on 23 Apr 2011 18:29

[/quote]

Change of heart Robbie? Few weeks ago you questioned me when i mentioned lights shocking corals on shanes post ;) :lol:[/quote]
No gerr you where talking about lights coming on each day shocking corals iam talking about new corals going into a tank complely differant things gerr
robbiesreef
Adult
Adult

Postby gerr on 23 Apr 2011 18:33

robbiesreef wrote:

Change of heart Robbie? Few weeks ago you questioned me when i mentioned lights shocking corals on shanes post ;) :lol:[/quote]
No gerr you where talking about lights coming on each day shocking corals iam talking about new corals going into a tank complely differant things gerr[/quote]
Ah i will give you this one Robbie ;)
gerr
Adult
Adult

Postby robbiesreef on 23 Apr 2011 19:14

No prob gerr ;)
robbiesreef
Adult
Adult