Is my coral dead?

Discussion section for sps and lps corals.

Is my coral dead?

Postby Kingfisher on 09 May 2011 12:18

I'm just wondering if my Daisy Polyp Coral is dead. It was severely damaged by my break-out of cyano and the base of it still is covered with cyano (despite the rest of my tank being nearly clear of it). It's been well over a month since the polyps fully opened. Over the past 2 weeks when I got control back I've seen what looks like new polyp growth. A week ago I saw some half opening of one or two of the polyps, but no opening since then.

Do I call their death and remove them from the tank or let them go for a bit longer (if so how long?)?
Former fish keeper...
Kingfisher
Juvenile
Juvenile

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Is my coral dead?

Postby Birdie on 09 May 2011 14:38

Before I tried to frag them they were in the exact same state and never seemed to recover afterwards.All the water parameters were fine then. I only have a small frag left of them which seems to be ok at the moment but has tiny polyps compared to what it had before.
Birdie
Fry
Fry

Postby Kingfisher on 09 May 2011 16:19

Thanks for the comment. I've got some of those small ones too. Do I treat it like a tree and cut back the deader looking polyps and leave them? Was the small frag always separate or did you prune?
Former fish keeper...
Kingfisher
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby Birdie on 10 May 2011 11:57

I seperated d base because they grow like a colony and the small fragg is all that survived but has come on a bit now. To be honest im not sure how you can treat them because polyps are very delicate when it comes to bad stuff like cyano.
Birdie
Fry
Fry

Postby Kingfisher on 10 May 2011 13:47

Thanks. Think I'll remove them. They are probably becoming a host for the last of the cyano and I don't need to fight that battle again.
Former fish keeper...
Kingfisher
Juvenile
Juvenile

Return to Hard Corals