Torch Coral

Discussion section for sps and lps corals.

Torch Coral

Postby paulie975 on 25 May 2011 19:13

Im a bit concerned about my torch coral, it has about 7 heads and for the last week or so, the polyps have not being extending as much as they were previously and some heads the polyps are barely sticking out at all, and before the lights come on they do be so contracted I can see into the skeleton body :?: :?:

Nothing has changed ie lighting conditions, its placement and water quality etc so im a bit stumped as to why its not opening as much as it was. The only thing that may be different is the direction of the koralia but I only redirected it after i noticed the torch wasnt looking so good. Anyone have any suggestions :?: :?:

Cheers,
Paul
Quagmire: Hey there sweetie, how old are you?
Connie: 16.
Quagmire: 18? You're first.
Connie: Mom!
Quagmire: I like where this is goin'! Giggidy, giggidy, gig-gi-dy!
paulie975
Juvenile
Juvenile

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Torch Coral

Postby Birdie on 26 May 2011 21:28

I notice they usually go in at night time (as you do :lol:), so dont worry there I say. Are they near any other stinging corals?
Birdie
Fry
Fry

Postby paulie975 on 27 May 2011 13:20

No they're on there own nothing near them. I think they're actually getting worse, I dont know what to do. Some of the polyps look a bit swollen aswel like there a bit of a bubble if you get me :? :?:
paulie975
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby Birdie on 27 May 2011 17:26

At 1 stage 1 of the heads seem to contract and contract and then had this stringy rotting looking strand coming out of it, I took it out and was blown over by the smell so I fragged it off instantly and got rid of the nasty head.
Birdie
Fry
Fry

Postby paulie975 on 27 May 2011 19:32

It defo didnt get stung or anything so dont think its that. Would the T8 tubes need changing or somthing it could be just my eyes but I think the lighting isnt as bright as it was before and the tubes are about a year old???
paulie975
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby paulie975 on 28 May 2011 15:15

Anyone any suggestions for what could be causing this or how I could fix it.....?
paulie975
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby billy ocean on 29 May 2011 10:32

Hi Paul

Its very diffucult to pin point the cause of retracting polyps on lps corals but lets try.

Can you stick up the parameters of your system.

Are there any clown fish trying to host it?

Is it possible to take it out of the water and smell it?

your lights are to old and need replacing asap I think 8 months is pushing it.

Ill keep an eye on this thread to see how you get on

Kind Regards

Paul
He who sees things grow from their beginnings shall have the finest view of them.

Now that you found the forum become part of the club contact one of our Committee members or forum Admins
billy ocean
Administrator
Administrator

Postby paulie975 on 29 May 2011 16:27

Hey Paul,

The water smells fine no bad smell or anything. Ive 2 clowns but they dont be going near it. Other tank inhabitants are; yellow tang, purple fire fish, green chromis, yellow bellied damsel and a few snails and crabs. I also have a kenya tree and green button polyps which are both doing fine but the green button polyps are looking mor brown than green maybe that could suggest something??? One other thing out of the ordinary is ny cleaner shrimp went missing about 2 weeks ago without a trace so maybe that could indicate something also???? The water parameters are:

Temp - 25
Salinity - 1.023
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5

Im not sure about calcium, alkalinity, magnesium or phosphate as i was told i shouldnt need them until i start getting into the hobby more as ive only set up my first tank 3 months ago. Im probably gonna get slaughtered for saying this though....

As for the lights I get what your saying and i know they need replacing but im a bit hesitant to buy new tubes as im gonna be upgrading the lighting unit for something with a bit more punch but just dont have the cash right now im hoping to get something soon but.

Cheers for the help mate,
Paul
paulie975
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby Nige on 01 Jun 2011 12:27

At 1 stage 1 of the heads seem to contract and contract and then had this stringy rotting looking strand coming out of it, I took it out and was blown over by the smell so I fragged it off instantly and got rid of the nasty head.

That strand was probably just the coral getting rid of excess zooxanthellae. I've had torch and frogspawn euphyllias do this from time to time it's perfectly normal and there shouldn't of been any need to get rid of the head.

As for your problem Paul, if your keeping LPS you should be testing for mag, calc and alk. Maybe get this tested by one of the sponsors to see if your within acceptable ranges. Post up your results. It could be lack of sufficient light. How high up is the torch coral? If you can, try and place it higher in the tank?
"Practice a reliable attitude towards fish" Mister Booja Booja
Nige
Adult
Adult

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby paulie975 on 01 Jun 2011 15:21

Hey Nige,

I was just over in seahorse and I should have asked them to test the water for mag, cal and alk but from speaking with them they reckon its a lighting issue. I know myself the lighting i have isnt up to much but its just strange how it was fine one day and not the next and seems to be getting worse. I have the torch placed as high as possible its about 8 inches from the light source. The light source is T8's, one actinic blue and one purple. I was also told there should be a white in the mix for corals so im thinking its a lighting issue. I just cant afford the upgrade at the minute.... Man I hate being a student :cry: :cry: :roll:
paulie975
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby Nige on 01 Jun 2011 15:36

paulie975 wrote:Hey Nige,

I was just over in seahorse and I should have asked them to test the water for mag, cal and alk but from speaking with them they reckon its a lighting issue. I know myself the lighting i have isnt up to much but its just strange how it was fine one day and not the next and seems to be getting worse. I have the torch placed as high as possible its about 8 inches from the light source. The light source is T8's, one actinic blue and one purple. I was also told there should be a white in the mix for corals so im thinking its a lighting issue. I just cant afford the upgrade at the minute.... Man I hate being a student :cry: :cry: :roll:

Get a couple of white bulbs then paul, actinic bulbs do diddily squat for corals other than make them look pretty. It's not uncommon for corals not to show stress until the very end.
"Practice a reliable attitude towards fish" Mister Booja Booja
Nige
Adult
Adult

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby paulie975 on 01 Jun 2011 16:16

Yea I think ill have to try that Nige cause its my favorite coral and dont want it dying on me!!
paulie975
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby paulie975 on 28 Jun 2011 18:37

OK so ive bought a new light fitting an ATI sunpower 4x39w T5 which replaced my old 2x30w T8's so the light output is much improved but the Torch coral is still not happy. Its opened a tiny bit more but nothing like it was before. The lights are over it since last friday so im thinking it would it have adjusted to the new light by now?

My water params are:
Temp - 25
Salinity - 1.023
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5
Mag - 1380
Cal - 460

Here is a picture of it. Any ideas guys???

paulie975
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby jaytoon on 28 Jun 2011 18:42

Mine sometimes go like that,
Do they have much water flow?
jaytoon
Juvenile
Juvenile

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby paulie975 on 28 Jun 2011 18:46

They've been like that over a month now!! :cry: They're getting a moderate level of flow...
paulie975
Juvenile
Juvenile

Next

Return to Hard Corals