Fragging Leather corals

Discussion section for sps and lps corals.

Fragging Leather corals

Postby JennyF on 15 Jun 2011 15:34

I have a very large finger leather coral which I want to frag 2 branches off.

Junst wondering if I'm better off fragging while the coral is sulking/going through a shed, or when it's fully opened and at it's largest.

Just wondering as I was going to frag today but the coral is sulking again :lol: It seems to shed 2/3 days every week, it's getting larger and larger constantly!
JennyF
Sub Adult
Sub Adult

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Fragging Leather corals

Postby gerr on 15 Jun 2011 16:00

Hi Jenny you should never frag a coral while it is shedding. also take no more than 3 cuts from the coral at a time. Imo its always best to do a water change and run carbon after fragging in the tank. Toadstool and fingers dont release much toxins but always best to play it safe.
Keep an eye on the frags and the cuts you make in the mother coral and if need be take them out and sit them in idoine solution for 10mins to help kill off any infection.
Hope this helps
gerr
Adult
Adult

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Fragging Leather corals

Postby JennyF on 15 Jun 2011 16:05

gerr wrote:Hi Jenny you should never frag a coral while it is shedding. also take no more than 3 cuts from the coral at a time. Imo its always best to do a water change and run carbon after fragging in the tank. Toadstool and fingers dont release much toxins but always best to play it safe.
Keep an eye on the frags and the cuts you make in the mother coral and if need be take them out and sit them in idoine solution for 10mins to help kill off any infection.
Hope this helps

Thanks a million, I've only fragged this coral once before, it was after a shed when it was fully opened. I just wanted to make sure. It's just growing too big at the moment.

I am planning a water change for the weekend, so I may wait untill then actually, thanks for the advice!
JennyF
Sub Adult
Sub Adult

Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Hard Corals