Changing for sps

Discussion section for sps and lps corals.

Changing for sps

Postby steman on 28 Jun 2014 22:17

Looking to change tank to sps and lps
Lps because I have a good bit if it and sps because I think my water is too pure for the softies and zoa and polyps I have.

Metallic star polyps zoas and some button polyps are slowly dying. Yet my trumpets my torch frogspawn and such are growing and splitting like crazy. I just can't understand it. So I'm thinking of getting rid if the zoas mushrooms and polpys from the tank and replacing with starter frags such and monti and so

Anyone got some tips and do they think this lps and sps selection will work?
Thanks lads
steman
Juvenile
Juvenile

Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: Changing for sps

Postby JamieZhu on 28 Jun 2014 22:26

u need change ur light unit :D
JamieZhu
Adult
Adult

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby steman on 28 Jun 2014 22:31

Lol I can't change 1500 euro worth of lights though. There top of the range.
steman
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby davey_c on 29 Jun 2014 01:30

Have you tried moving your gsp and zoas to other parts of the tank to see how they do or if they come back?
below tank is for sale

my tank build
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=17405
davey_c
Adult
Adult

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby steman on 29 Jun 2014 09:14

Yeah I moved some and they did ok but I wanted to have them bunched together to have a zoa garden. But I hear that zoas are very toxic to each other and this won't work.
Like some of the zoas in have extend really well and grow rapidly but other then do nothing but wilt away. Especially one I have that has just completely closed for the past 3 weeks and don't like moving it around too much.
And pulsing xenia never seems to grow in my tank either.
Really really annoys me. I can see why???
steman
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby Haggis on 29 Jun 2014 15:28

Trust me, long term you'll be glad the xenia won't grow, it can be a real pest if it takes hold! I don't know what type of lighting you have, but it could be too much for the zoas. If you can, try to move them to a more shaded area. Too few nutrients can also be an issue - even for SPS, but this is unlikely if you have fish in the tank and feed them well. My guess would be too much light.
Haggis
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby steman on 29 Jun 2014 15:36

Haggis wrote:Trust me, long term you'll be glad the xenia won't grow, it can be a real pest if it takes hold! I don't know what type of lighting you have, but it could be too much for the zoas. If you can, try to move them to a more shaded area. Too few nutrients can also be an issue - even for SPS, but this is unlikely if you have fish in the tank and feed them well. My guess would be too much light.

Hey I know they can be a pest but. I just don't understand why they fail.

And I have the aqua illuminations hydras. And I have them in at about 60-70%
steman
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby Ger k on 29 Jun 2014 20:31

Whats your nitrate and phosphate levels at the mo?
Ger k
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby steman on 29 Jun 2014 21:59

Nitrate zero. And phosphates I haven't checked in a bit but I had some and got some rowaphos and they had been lowering steadily. I reckon there and none now. I used to bags of rowaphos.
I have a feeling the zoa toxins have something to do with some dying and some living. What donyou think about that
steman
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby spr100 on 30 Jun 2014 08:03

I would also say they are getting to much light I ran a zeo system which is an ulns and was able to keep and grow then. Re adjust your lighting make sure they are not in an area of very high flow and they do best on the bottom of tanks
spr100
Adult
Adult

Postby sincgar on 30 Jun 2014 09:48

from left field and defo no expert on corals or marines but based on bitter experience check your alk values. I have had toadstools gradually close and shrink away, green star polyps start out in all their glory but over months gradually close and die etc etc etc whilst all the time my frogspawn/hammer go from strength to strength, adding heads etc.
Advised by Jummy to check my kh and it was low around or below 6. addition of a buffer helped
i currently have a large toadie and it closes up every now and then with no polyp extension. additon of a buffer or even calcium will have it back out waving happily the next day. Just my tuppence but hope it helps
sincgar
Adult
Adult

Postby steman on 30 Jun 2014 10:53

Sinc I dose currently alk. To keep it at 10-11 as every week it drops 7. My calcium drops to lowest 380 and the water change picks that back up. Thanks though.
steman
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby sincgar on 30 Jun 2014 11:17

no worries and you sound much more on top of things than me. My current alarm system is my toadie as if I see that starting to close up I know my system is getting low. Better than any chemical test :D
sincgar
Adult
Adult

Postby spr100 on 30 Jun 2014 13:18

Alk will have no real effect on soft corals as they do not use for growth what you need to look out for with soft coral is current light and nitrate and phosphate they like it up a little 10-50ppm where with sps you want it a bit lower. Some Lps like it a little high also catophilla like quite dirty water. By the sounds of what you are saying it seems like they maybe a little starved
spr100
Adult
Adult

Postby steman on 30 Jun 2014 18:42

spr100 wrote:Alk will have no real effect on soft corals as they do not use for growth what you need to look out for with soft coral is current light and nitrate and phosphate they like it up a little 10-50ppm where with sps you want it a bit lower. Some Lps like it a little high also catophilla like quite dirty water. By the sounds of what you are saying it seems like they maybe a little starved

Starved of phosphates and nitrates? Or coral foods.
steman
Juvenile
Juvenile

Next

Return to Hard Corals