sps coral color come back

Discussion section for sps and lps corals.

sps coral color come back

Postby JamieZhu on 01 Sep 2014 14:36

same time last year is my first attempt to keep sps corals, first few sps frags from keith now 10 times bigger. gained some valuable experiences all the way, bad stories and good ones. all in all it is kinda success i can say.

here are some questions regarding damaged sps corals, specially towards coloration.
in my experience iv noticed there are two situations regarding color loss(maybe more), first is coral skin went dark brown (i assume cos by high NO4 and PO4 level), second is coral skin went transparent which is white in terms of skeleton color (i dnt know the cause but i assume this indicates lack of zooxanthellae in coral tissue).

i also found in second case it takes a short period of time retrieve coral color than the first one, in my case only take a month and in two month time it shows a significant growth.

and i have no success in first case, even if a significant growth occurred, the old parts will stay dark but new growth.

i just wonder if anyone else having success with those cases. and i would like to know how.
JamieZhu
Adult
Adult

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: sps coral color come back

Postby anybangers on 01 Sep 2014 16:07

I found that some sps that brown out can takes months and months to get its color back , this is definitely caused by high nutrients, and of course all sps are different, some recover faster than others while some like Nana and valida take long time to look good
sps fanatic
anybangers
Adult
Adult

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby JamieZhu on 01 Sep 2014 16:22

i also found light intensity can change coral color dramatically, lack of light source can turn any color to green.
i got a piece birdnest, the time i have it was bright green it changed to pink in 2 month ... light pink ...
JamieZhu
Adult
Adult

Postby anybangers on 01 Sep 2014 18:11

Yeah I find that too, not enough light on some sps doesn't let them show their true beauty, also potassium levels are very important
sps fanatic
anybangers
Adult
Adult

Postby JamieZhu on 01 Sep 2014 18:49

anybangers wrote:Yeah I find that too, not enough light on some sps doesn't let them show their true beauty, also potassium levels are very important

i only started k-balance 3 weeks back after spoke to roman the other day, result is brilliant after supplement.
but keep dosing k-balance is very expensive ... and over-rated skimmer makes it even harder ... :(
JamieZhu
Adult
Adult

Postby anybangers on 01 Sep 2014 19:36

JamieZhu wrote:
anybangers wrote:Yeah I find that too, not enough light on some sps doesn't let them show their true beauty, also potassium levels are very important

i only started k-balance 3 weeks back after spoke to roman the other day, result is brilliant after supplement.
but keep dosing k-balance is very expensive ... and over-rated skimmer makes it even harder ... :(

Pmd you there ;)
sps fanatic
anybangers
Adult
Adult

Postby JamieZhu on 01 Sep 2014 20:19

anybangers wrote:
JamieZhu wrote:

Pmd you there ;)

thank you. :D
JamieZhu
Adult
Adult

Postby GarMc on 03 Sep 2014 17:47

To maintain the correct potassium balance can be very expensive if using zeovit products ..

Trick is to raise the potassium to desirable levels with a normal brand of potassium supplement like "Brightwell potassium" or the like....

Then when potassium levels are where you want them begin using the expensive K-balance ;)

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Garry
Best Regards,
Garry.
GarMc
Juvenile
Juvenile

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby JamieZhu on 03 Sep 2014 19:38

GarMc wrote:To maintain the correct potassium balance can be very expensive if using zeovit products ..

Trick is to raise the potassium to desirable levels with a normal brand of potassium supplement like "Brightwell potassium" or the like....

Then when potassium levels are where you want them begin using the expensive K-balance ;)

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Garry

boost potassium up not really a problem only few ml k-balance can quickly raise to desire lvl, but potassium lvl constant drop, specially in a over rated skimmer tank. im dosing 3ml daily and 5ml after water change.
by doing that i can only make that lvl at 380-400ppm.
i spoke to someone who had use other brands to keep p lvl but seems k-balance not only contains potassium but something else which does better job towards corals.
JamieZhu
Adult
Adult

Postby JamieZhu on 03 Sep 2014 19:47

i just noticed some color change on some sps fragments, they went a bit brown after the cut.
i put frags next to the mother colony, the fragment color much darker. this happened almost right after the cut. i dnt know if you guys noticed the same thing, and was doing underwater cutting i think its is the best way keep frag in best shape.
JamieZhu
Adult
Adult

Postby robbiesreef on 04 Sep 2014 07:52

JamieZhu wrote:i just noticed some color change on some sps fragments, they went a bit brown after the cut.
i put frags next to the mother colony, the fragment color much darker. this happened almost right after the cut. i dnt know if you guys noticed the same thing, and was doing underwater cutting i think its is the best way keep frag in best shape.

https://www.google.ie/search?site=&sour ... B800%3B650
robbiesreef
Adult
Adult

Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Hard Corals