Torch coral placement

Discussion section for sps and lps corals.

Torch coral placement

Postby EnnisMarine on 21 Dec 2014 19:42

Hi. I'm just wondering on the best position for torch coral placement. It seems happy enough where it is but I have seen then placed lower down in other tank threads. Also I am worried about it getting maybe too much flow :roll: Also looking for recommendation for my next lps purchase. Thanks in advance.
Gary.
EnnisMarine
Fry
Fry

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Torch coral placement

Postby anybangers on 21 Dec 2014 21:14

The answer to that question is down to how much flow you have in your tank, people with sps tank that have high flow in the mid to upper regions of their tanks keep lps like Torch's and hammers etc down low whereas someone with a tank with all over medium flow could keep lps anywhere, as for your next purchase you couldn't go wrong with a hammer or a frogspawn or similar
sps fanatic
anybangers
Adult
Adult

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby EnnisMarine on 21 Dec 2014 22:15

TY AnyBangers. I think the flow is quite high in the upper to mid region of the tank but, lower down seems to drop off quite drastically. The tank is a boyu tl 550 with the main outlet aimed at the surface. I have a wp10 on W1 full power also aimed at the surface. My plan is to replace the wp10 with two RW4's and re-jig the main outlet so that the flow is aimed down the back and behind the live rock and have the rw4's at high and low level with the lower level one being at a lower power setting. I do intend on keeping Sps at some point in the future so all advice is being swallowed up and is appreciated.
Gary.
EnnisMarine
Fry
Fry

Postby anybangers on 21 Dec 2014 22:29

No worries bud, yeah most tanks have higher flow in the higher regions, for sps and to create surface agitation which aids in gas exchange and raises the orp of the water, any questions just shoot bud
sps fanatic
anybangers
Adult
Adult

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby jeff on 30 Dec 2014 22:07

Yeh I have 3 of them and the hate the flow as with all lps they do much better in the least amount if glow and will open much bigger to, I'm pissin off my elegance at the moment as I can't find a spot for it with less flow can be a bit of a pain when they get bigger and they need to be moved
jeff
Adult
Adult

Postby SantaMonicaHelp on 24 Feb 2015 23:56

I'll say to get hammer next. Hammer is my favorite :) Good luck if you do move your torch!

-YK
SantaMonicaHelp
Fry
Fry

Return to Hard Corals