Plate coral question.

Discussion section for sps and lps corals.

Plate coral question.

Postby Chrisfreddy on 01 Jun 2015 18:47

Hi, I'm hoping someone can give me a bit of advice on a new orange plate coral I got at Seahorse last week. It just doesn't seem to be doing great since I put it in the tank, not swelling up and putting out tentacles like my other green one and I think it might be losing a bit of colour, going a little duller maybe but I'm not quite sure because I'm colour deficient and can't really tell for sure. It also doesn't seem to have the same kind of mouth that my green one has, just a pale bit in the middle, the green one has a very obvious mouth but not this one. Anyway here's a picture of them so you can see what I mean. Does it look ok? Also I moved it to a slightly shady spot with less flow because I wondered if it was getting too much light or flow.
Chris.
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc28 ... 0coral.jpg
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc28 ... 0coral.jpg
Chrisfreddy
Fry
Fry

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Plate coral question.

Postby Diggler on 02 Jun 2015 15:10

It definetly looks unhappy, is your water parameters ok, whats your NO3+PO4 at, how did you acclimatise, maybe light or temp shock? did it look healthy in the shop?
Diggler
Fry
Fry

Postby Chrisfreddy on 04 Jun 2015 23:20

Thanks for the reply, I acclimated it by letting the bag float for about half an hour and then adding small amounts of water to the bag over about another half an hour. My nitrate is below 5ppm and the phosphate reads just above zero. I thought it looked ok in the shop, not puffed up but the colour was better than it is now. I'm not sure what else to do apart from having moved it into a slightly shadier spot. I acclimated the green one the same way and it seems to be doing well. Any suggestions?
Chris.
Chrisfreddy
Fry
Fry

Postby JamieZhu on 04 Jun 2015 23:24

it likes low light and med flow, try find a spot in this conditions.
gl
JamieZhu
Adult
Adult

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby GarMc on 07 Jun 2015 14:48

Give it a few days to bounce back after the shock of the transition they like high light levels and good flow as they are one of the few corals that can actively walk along the substrate, in the wild you will find these walking along the shore line in the more nutrient rich waters along the coastlines found over much of the West Indo-Pacific region. They typically live in protected reef or lagoon environments on sandy or gravel substrates or on small rock ledges in areas of to low to moderate water flow but prefers moderate water motion.... Fungia corals prefer fairly bright lighting, but may tolerate moderate lighting. Coloration can change on some specimens depending on the lighting intensity and color temperature that they are placed under and are usually more brightly colored under higher intensity lighting...As with most corals Green can tolerate low light but an Orange coral will need brighter conditions (its to do with the zooxanthellae) I would say check for flatworms... if there are none present leave alone and wait about a week and all should be fine

Hope this helps ;) Good luck
Best Regards,
Garry.
GarMc
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby Chrisfreddy on 07 Jun 2015 18:53

Thanks, I had moved it to a shadier spot but I'll start slowly moving it to a brighter position over the next week or so, I hope it bounces back.
Chris.
Chrisfreddy
Fry
Fry

Return to Hard Corals