Bleaching or STN

Discussion section for sps and lps corals.

Bleaching or STN

Postby kitchlid on 08 Jun 2015 22:00

Hi guys,

Looking for some advice.

I've started dosing with Kalk. I keep sps in the reef. A mixture of acros, montis, stylos, seriatopora, pavona.

Everything's been doing really well of late. Nice colouration but I noticed a few nights ago one of my digitatas and a millipora have developed small amounts of bleaching at the base of the coral. They're small frags to start.

I've been using a 1/4 teaspoon of kalk per lt of water and been using a drip line at night to slowly dose small amounts of the mix at a time. I started doing this as my calcium was dropping to 350ppm and the alk was hovering barely above 7.

I did a water change yesterday to try and balance the params.

Nitrates are at .2ppm
Phosphates are not detectable
lighting I use an AI prime.

Anyone had similar experiences with kalk. I'd like to continue dosing the tank but am nervous to start again in case thats what's caused my issues.
160L mixed Reef
kitchlid
Juvenile
Juvenile

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Bleaching or STN

Postby Cazsie on 09 Jun 2015 08:17

Is the only change the Kalk, or is the light new also?
Cazsie
Sub Adult
Sub Adult

Postby kitchlid on 09 Jun 2015 21:59

light is now 2 months on the tank. Some of the frags were introduced after the new light was installed but were also kept under LEDs
160L mixed Reef
kitchlid
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby robbiesreef on 10 Jun 2015 10:10

The main cause of STN at the base up is kh swings and SG not stable
Check the kh 2 daily morning and evening to see if it swings
robbiesreef
Adult
Adult

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby liam on 10 Jun 2015 10:40

Sorry to hijack...

Robbie, I had always thought to measure alk at a set time each day to test, for me that's 7pm.

Should I expect to see little/no difference if I test at other times or are the morning and eventing tests to see what the max swing might be?

Thanks,

--Liam.
liam
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby Essox on 10 Jun 2015 22:00

There should be no difference in morning or evening but that depends on how often you dose alk or how you dose your alk. Like if you use a doser and say your alk usage is 120ml of alk in 24 hrs then you should make sure you have the 120ml split up into the maximum times your doses allows you to dose. Mine GHl is 24 times maximum so 24 times by 5ml in 24 hrs this way it's as stable as possible, but as Robbie says if you check in the morning and then in the evening you can tell if your achieving this if not then you should look at your alk usage and how you dose it
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>
[color#FF0000]Essox real name graham http://irishfishforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=20676
http://irishfishforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14964[/color]
Essox
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby liam on 11 Jun 2015 11:53

Thanks Graham. I need to adjust my doser then, it also does 24 times per day but I just set it up to dose Alk 4 times in 24 hours with Ca between.

I did a bit of digging, as I had *assumed* night/day was a factor, but it seems not, or at least not a big enough factor to include in my dosing schedule, from Randy Holmes-Farley:

"The change in pH day to night is not reflecting the consumption of alkalinity, but rather the consumption and production of CO2 by photosynthesis and respiration.

If you did track alkalinity consumption day to night, you might find it a bit higher during the day, but there have been mixed reports on this."

And not to mention the results you get in your tank, you're clearly doing a lot of things right! :)

--Liam.
liam
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby robbiesreef on 11 Jun 2015 17:16

liam wrote:Sorry to hijack...

Robbie, I had always thought to measure alk at a set time each day to test, for me that's 7pm.

Should I expect to see little/no difference if I test at other times or are the morning and eventing tests to see what the max swing might be?

Thanks,

--Liam.

Graham is spot on :D
robbiesreef
Adult
Adult

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Essox on 11 Jun 2015 18:56

Thanks happy to help. Thanks Robbie ;)
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>
[color#FF0000]Essox real name graham http://irishfishforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=20676
http://irishfishforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14964[/color]
Essox
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby kitchlid on 22 Aug 2015 19:27

Thanks for the help guys,

Lost a few of my beloved acros :(

Had to frag em but they're starting to show growth now.

I'd love to start re-dosing kalk. Im running a 25 litre drum for my auto-top off. Any advice on how much to add? Should I pop it straight into the auto top off drum or should I dissolve it first and add the lime water to the drum?

My calcium is dropping by about 30/40ppm a week and my alk is dropping by about 2 DKH. I'd love to address that asap!

Kalk for dummies please :)
160L mixed Reef
kitchlid
Juvenile
Juvenile

Return to Hard Corals