Moon Light: good or bad for LPS???

Discussion section for sps and lps corals.

Moon Light: good or bad for LPS???

Postby wanedileo on 13 Sep 2016 23:17

Hi all, here I am again with my silly questions: I've got 4 frags of LPS but one of them (Acan Tiger red) is just dissolving altogether and the other three are not opening at all, I don't think they are going to make it. There is a nice galaxea that is not fully opening as well. They are in the tank for about a week now.
I wonder if the moonlight mode of my leds can be causing harm to them?
hydra 52 hd starting at 7% at 7am ranking up to a pick of 65% by 1:30 and fading off into moonlight by 7pm.
Moonlight stays on all night.
Tank is 7 weeks old, cycled with red sea mature reef (dry rock),
Water parameters:
Sal. 1025
Kh. 9
Ph. 8.2
nitrates: close to 0
Phosphates: 50ppb
Using NoPox from day one
Will start Triton over the weekend.
wanedileo
Fry
Fry
 
Posts: 144
Joined: 31 Aug 2016 23:13
Location: Roscommon
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Moon Light: good or bad for LPS???

Postby andrewo on 14 Sep 2016 20:34

Hi maybe it's the phosphates level causing problems ? 50 ppb equates to about level of 0.15, kind of high.
Or did you mean 5 ppb.
-Frontosa Fan
-My previous marine setup
http://irishfishforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=20966
- Latest reef tank
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=26918
User avatar
andrewo
Adult
Adult
 
Posts: 1082
Joined: 10 Sep 2010 23:37
Location: Galway
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Moon Light: good or bad for LPS???

Postby wanedileo on 14 Sep 2016 22:43

andrewo wrote:Hi maybe it's the phosphates level causing problems ? 50 ppb equates to about level of 0.15, kind of high.
Or did you mean 5 ppb.

Thanks Andrew.
50ppb is quite high indeed.
I am using NoPox but will throw in some rowaphos over the weekend to get these levels lower.
wanedileo
Fry
Fry
 
Posts: 144
Joined: 31 Aug 2016 23:13
Location: Roscommon
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Moon Light: good or bad for LPS???

Postby Mc Paul on 15 Sep 2016 21:31

Hi,
That level 0,15 of phosphates wouldn't be an issue for the corals if that not a fast spike.
Also If your NO3 is 0, the NOPOX doesn't work to reduce PO4.
Find info about Redfield ratio.

The moon light is not good for aquarium, becouse of corals sexaul reproductionn,which can kill the tank for a few hours.
Mc Paul
Sub Adult
Sub Adult
 
Posts: 724
Joined: 08 Feb 2014 23:10
Location: Lucan, Dublin
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Moon Light: good or bad for LPS???

Postby wanedileo on 15 Sep 2016 23:12

Mc Paul wrote:Hi,

The moon light is not good for aquarium, becouse of corals sexaul reproductionn,which can kill the tank for a few hours.


Thanks Mc Paul,
the reason I have the moonlight is because the tank is in my seating room and time to time the kids switch on the lights in the room, i thought the moonlight would keep the fish from startling. Does that make sense or is it just another myth?
Thanks
wanedileo
Fry
Fry
 
Posts: 144
Joined: 31 Aug 2016 23:13
Location: Roscommon
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Moon Light: good or bad for LPS???

Postby Mc Paul on 16 Sep 2016 00:23

wanedileo wrote:
Mc Paul wrote:Hi,

The moon light is not good for aquarium, becouse of corals sexaul reproductionn,which can kill the tank for a few hours.


Thanks Mc Paul,
the reason I have the moonlight is because the tank is in my seating room and time to time the kids switch on the lights in the room, i thought the moonlight would keep the fish from startling. Does that make sense or is it just another myth?
Thanks


I believe that full darkness working well for zooplankton's reproduction. 6 hours of dark is enough ))
At the night fishes are sleeping into the caves and it's time for zooplanktonns party, 6 hours of dark party )). Imho.
Mc Paul
Sub Adult
Sub Adult
 
Posts: 724
Joined: 08 Feb 2014 23:10
Location: Lucan, Dublin
Blog: View Blog (0)


Return to Hard Corals

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Our Sponsors

Aquarium Solutions Petstop Superstore Fins Fur & Feathers Maidenhead Aquatics Seahorse Aquariums
cron