New tank update (lots of photos)

Discussion section for sps and lps corals.

New tank update (lots of photos)

Postby Haggis on 11 Dec 2010 21:20

Well I finally have gotten round to taking a few pictures of the new tank and the corals I've collected so far. I'm still not entirely happy with the clarity of the water as I've still got a load of particles floating around but I think I'm starting to win the war! Only 2 fish in so far and those are my percula clowns transferred over from my nano but the plan is to have an assortment of anthias. Anyway, enough talk and on to the good stuff :D

Full tank shot. I'm pretty happy with the aquascape, now I just need to buy some more corals to fill up the space.

Shot from the left side. I have a vortec MP10es wireless on this side running in antisync mode with the MP40es w on the right side of the tank.

Shot from the right with the MP40 spoiling the view :x You can also see some of the algae that's been growing on the back glass. I really like the open structure, but not having rock piled up against the back makes it a total nightmare to clean!

Next onto some closeup shots of the corals.

The red acro is supposedly a tabling acro but I'm not 100% sure about this. By the way the white tips are growth and not bleaching. It was difficult to get the colours correct with both in shot so there are individual pics below which are closer to reality except that I can't capture the fluorescence of the green.

It's hard to get the blue/purple colour of the next acro accurate too. It's not really like either of the shots as it's more a purple than blue colour.

Next up, a green monti that has exploded in growth since it was moved into the new tank. You can't see in the photo but the growth tips are blue.

Don't really know what this one is other than an acro - I rescued it as a 4cm frag from the bottom of one of the tanks in Seahorse when they were doing their clearout for the refit a while back. It's a slow grower but seems to be speeding up since it was moved over. I'm hoping that it will table eventually.

This one looks brown in the pic but is actually a strange brown/red colour. Since it went into my tank it's acquired its lime growth tips.

Just put a couple of frags of this pocilipora in last night. The corals on the right side of the tank were getting very green dominated so I thought this pink would help break things up. It's quite low down so it remains to be seen if it keeps the pink colour - when I got it it had very dark green polyps and was very pale pink underneath but the polyps lightened and the pink got stronger.

That's it for now but expect updates as and when new corals and fish arrive (hopefully some corals before Christmas and fish to be added in the New Year).

Cheers,
Graham.
Haggis
Juvenile
Juvenile

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: New tank update (lots of photos)

Postby jaytoon on 11 Dec 2010 22:15

Deadly rock set up, lovely looking tank,
looking forward to seeing it mature with more corol and fish
jaytoon
Juvenile
Juvenile

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby STEVOR on 11 Dec 2010 23:14

Nice.
Great scaping, corals look very nice. good pics as well, what camera are you using ?
Last edited by STEVOR on 11 Dec 2010 23:15, edited 1 time in total.
1500 litre system .ACaquatics tank , 84"x30"x28" Optiwhite front,300litre sump. Deltec SC2560 skimmer. 3 part doser. 3litre biopellets. 1litre carbon fluidized. Eheim 5000l return. 2 x tunze 12000lph, 2xtunze mod 6080. 2 x ATI 10x54w ,Aquatronica
STEVOR
Sub Adult
Sub Adult

Postby robbiesreef on 12 Dec 2010 00:42

Great pictures haggis and a very nice tank rockwork is deadly
robbiesreef
Adult
Adult

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby spr100 on 12 Dec 2010 00:45

looks very well congrats
spr100
Adult
Adult

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Wilhelmina on 12 Dec 2010 00:48

Love it! well done!!!
Wilhelmina
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby Peter O'B on 12 Dec 2010 14:27

That is just beautiful. Just the kind of tank i would like if I was to ever go salty.

Well done.
Peter O'B

Postby Haggis on 12 Dec 2010 16:23

Cheers for all the positive comments guys! It's far from a completed project yet but it's getting there. There might even be some new additions before next weekend if all goes to plan.

STEVOR wrote:Nice.
Great scaping, corals look very nice. good pics as well, what camera are you using ?

The camera is a Canon EOS 40D however the lens I took the photos with yesterday is not the best - I was too lazy to go upstairs to get my good macro lens :D
This is actually my underwater camera when in its housing, but all of the above shots were just taken through the glass. I will eventually take some from inside the tank as not shooting through glass means you can use flash a lot easier and get much better results.

Cheers,
Graham.
Haggis
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby bermo on 12 Dec 2010 18:27

lovely setup graham all your corals look great with good growth already showing ;) where did you buy your corals they look the biz
bermo
Sub Adult
Sub Adult

Postby Haggis on 12 Dec 2010 21:29

bermo wrote:lovely setup graham all your corals look great with good growth already showing ;) where did you buy your corals they look the biz

Corals are a mixture from Seahorse and Fish Antics. I just tend to hold off until I see a piece I really like the look of or is unusual. I could already have the tank full of coral but I'm trying to use a bit of willpower and pick more unusual pieces - colour or shape. To that end here is today's addition :lol:

Bought more for its very fine structure than colour at the moment.

You can see the potential here and Kealan at Seahorse advised that it was brighter yellow in the tips when it arrived so here's hoping it brightens up again in my tank. It's only been in for a couple of hours and already there's very nice polyp extension.

Maybe a few more additions next weekend :D

Cheers,
G.
Haggis
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby redpower on 12 Dec 2010 21:45

Beautiful tank, absolutely stunner. A great inspiration for my own.
Red:)
Dublin.
Trigon 350 Planted Cichlid Tank.
6ft Marine frag tank project on the go (on hold).
7x2x2ft LR Marine tank maturing nicely, unlike myself!.
redpower
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby bermo on 12 Dec 2010 22:38

looks great keep the pics coming :D :D
bermo
Sub Adult
Sub Adult

Postby seany on 14 Dec 2010 15:24

Graham,

Looking good! Love the Aquascaping.

Biggest mistake I made when I started this reefing lark was to pile the liverock against the back glass. :cry:

Well done. Looking forward to this as it develops over the coming months.

Seany
Seany
seany
Fry
Fry

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby steovts on 14 Dec 2010 18:28

Looks great mate, I really like the rock set up
steovts
Fry
Fry