New tank update (lots of photos)

Discussion section for sps and lps corals.

Re: New tank update (lots of photos)

Postby Haggis on 23 Dec 2010 02:14

bermo wrote:wow they are some serious pics there graham love the macros :shock: is this your profession?

Thanks John. Just a keen amateur. I usually only get the camera out when diving to be honest. Underwater photography is another expensive hobby of mine :roll: (the tank shots are all through the glass though)

If you want to see some of my dive photos have a look at my website:

http://www.grahamcoull.smugmug.com

By the way, the sharks are the same type (Oceanic Whitetips) that attacked the tourists in Egypt a month or so ago - They also killed a French woman last year whilst I was there. When diving it's usually safe enough but it gets nerve racking when they start to bump into you - they get so curious they bash into you with their nose :shock: Had one of them give me a "lovebite" on my fins too - had to give it a smack on the nose with my camera rig he was getting way too friendly :lol: Diving with those and the mantas in the Maldives are experiences I'll never forget!
Haggis
Juvenile
Juvenile

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby billy ocean on 23 Dec 2010 10:14

Only thing I can say is your amazing at both hobbies well done Graham its inspiring and a real treat to see this quality on the forum.
Thanks for sharing.

PAul
He who sees things grow from their beginnings shall have the finest view of them.

Now that you found the forum become part of the club contact one of our Committee members or forum Admins
billy ocean
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Nige on 23 Dec 2010 10:34

Abosuletly stunning mate! Fair play to ya!

Loving the aquascaping too! You must be very happy with it. It was most certainly well worth the wait for all that smelly uncurred rock to cure!
"Practice a reliable attitude towards fish" Mister Booja Booja
Nige
Adult
Adult

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby MrJackDempsey on 23 Dec 2010 10:49

WOW,Graham,WOW only words I can think of to describe your underwater photos.My brother in law takes people out to see the Great White at Seal Island in South Africa and he showed me video footage of himself diving with them in swimming trunks, no cage or any protection of any description.He has since promised his wife he would never do it again but has at least done it twice since!!!.He says they're not the mindless killing machines they portrayed as but still.........I know if it was me they wouldn't be able able to smell the chum as there would be a terrible brown staining in the water :oops:
Haven't lost my mind,just sold it on E-bay
MrJackDempsey
MFKA Treasurer
MFKA Treasurer

Postby Haggis on 23 Dec 2010 16:10

Thanks again for all the kind words guys but you're starting to make me blush now :lol:

Here are the full tank shots I promised last night.

First the tank and cabinet. Sorry for the reflections in the glass, I couldn't get a decent shot without some daylight in the room.

Next a close-up of the tank itself. The colours are, for the most part, pretty accurate but uploading them seems to have added a little bit too much red to this photo. There must be some image processing or extra compression of the jpeg going on??

That's it for now, but I'll post some more shots in the New Year. Happy Christmas to you all!

Cheers,
Graham.
Haggis
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby Haggis on 23 Dec 2010 16:18

MrJackDempsey wrote:WOW,Graham,WOW only words I can think of to describe your underwater photos.My brother in law takes people out to see the Great White at Seal Island in South Africa and he showed me video footage of himself diving with them in swimming trunks, no cage or any protection of any description.He has since promised his wife he would never do it again but has at least done it twice since!!!.He says they're not the mindless killing machines they portrayed as but still.........I know if it was me they wouldn't be able able to smell the chum as there would be a terrible brown staining in the water :oops:

I have to say the Great Whites are on my to-do list but I'm not sure if I would get in without the cage and with chum in the water. I have a friend who has dived with them outside of a cage and when you finish a dive you're supposed to wait for 3 minutes at a depth of 5 meters for a safety stop. He said the only stopping he did was when he was back safely on the boat! :lol: Never got out of the water so quick in his life!

Also want to do the tiger, lemon and grey reef shark dives in the Bahamas. They are just crazy with 50-100 sharks all going mad to get fed. No cage on that dive either!
Haggis
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby Nige on 23 Dec 2010 16:32

Looks great Graham!

What kinda camera are you using? I have a Nikon D90 but don't have that much luck with it, get the odd good photo but nothing as sharp as yours!

I'd love a decent Macro but they're well over €500 :o
"Practice a reliable attitude towards fish" Mister Booja Booja
Nige
Adult
Adult

Postby Haggis on 23 Dec 2010 17:37

Nige wrote:Looks great Graham!

What kinda camera are you using? I have a Nikon D90 but don't have that much luck with it, get the odd good photo but nothing as sharp as yours!

I'd love a decent Macro but they're well over €500 :o

It's a Canon EOS 40D and yes, the macro lens wasn't cheap! :roll:
Haggis
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby CraigM84 on 23 Dec 2010 23:46

savage tank dude, love the setup, and some very nice shots on your site too
CraigM84
Fry
Fry

Postby bermo on 24 Dec 2010 16:39

they are some great shots you have graham. id love for you to take a few shots when you pop over so i could put them up on the zeovit forum.
bermo
Sub Adult
Sub Adult

Postby Haggis on 24 Dec 2010 17:52

Hi John,

Absolutely no problem! I was going to suggest it to you myself as your tank will far and away be a better subject for photos than mine!

G.
Haggis
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby bermo on 24 Dec 2010 20:58

cheers graham that would be great :D would next tuesday be ok for you.
bermo
Sub Adult
Sub Adult

Postby Siobhan on 30 Dec 2010 14:47

WoW :shock: great to see a lot of saltys on this forum, glad now I have joined up..... cant wait to see some more, you have converted me now to acros...thanks :D
Siobhan, Aquarium Addict!

Siobhan
Sub Adult
Sub Adult

Postby billy ocean on 31 Dec 2010 11:08

Haggis wrote:Hi John,

Absolutely no problem! I was going to suggest it to you myself as your tank will far and away be a better subject for photos than mine!

G.

looking forward to seeig these photos up
He who sees things grow from their beginnings shall have the finest view of them.

Now that you found the forum become part of the club contact one of our Committee members or forum Admins
billy ocean
Administrator
Administrator

Postby robbiesreef on 31 Dec 2010 11:20

me too there going to be deadly
robbiesreef
Adult
Adult

PreviousNext