New tank update (lots of photos)

Discussion section for sps and lps corals.

Re: New tank update (lots of photos)

Postby leo9bar on 10 Jan 2011 01:00

Really cool aguascaping dude...congrats :D
leo9bar
Fry
Fry

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Nige on 16 Jan 2011 17:00

Hey Graham, How do you mount your corals?
"Practice a reliable attitude towards fish" Mister Booja Booja
Nige
Adult
Adult

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Haggis on 18 Jan 2011 00:18

Hi Nigel,

Because of the shapes of my live rock, many of them are just wedged into place then grow down and attach themselves. a couple were superglued (some of the smaller frags) and i've use milliput for a few too, but only to make sure they stay in place. if you take the coral off the plug a good method is to use milliput to make a smooth surface then push the base of the coral into it whilst it's still soft. You then remove the coral leaving a little "hole behing and allow the milliput to dry. then use superglue gel to attach the coral into the coral shaped hole. But to be honest, it's always a total pain to get any coral in place.

You might get a better response from someone by posting this as a new topic though??

Cheers,
Graham.
Haggis
Juvenile
Juvenile

New tank inhabitants.

Postby Haggis on 07 Feb 2011 22:06

Well, after waiting nearly 8 months for them, I finally got a couple of Borbonius anthias. There were supposed to be three but only two arrived from TMC :( .

However, they are absolutely stunning and I'm well chuffed with them. Anyway, onto the photos :D They're still fairly shy and hiding most of the time, but they're out eating like pigs when I feed the tank so hopefully they'll get a bit bolder as time goes on. Here's the only shot so far of the pair of them together:

And here's a nicer shot of the larger and braver of the two:

Haggis
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby robbiesreef on 07 Feb 2011 22:17

Very nice Haggis would you be intrested in 3 more?
robbiesreef
Adult
Adult

Postby Haggis on 07 Feb 2011 22:41

Absolutely! Do you have 3 for sale? Of the two I have, one is quite large but I think they're both females. I'd love to put a few more in but I'd like to do it sooner rather than later before I get any territorial problems.

PM me any details.
Cheers, Graham.
Haggis
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby robbiesreef on 07 Feb 2011 23:28

pm sent
robbiesreef
Adult
Adult

Postby billy ocean on 07 Feb 2011 23:54

I have seen these fish and have to say they are stunning , the best of luck with them Graham.
He who sees things grow from their beginnings shall have the finest view of them.

Now that you found the forum become part of the club contact one of our Committee members or forum Admins
billy ocean
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Nige on 08 Feb 2011 00:04

Lovely lookin' fish Graham!

Is that a six line wrasse in the first one?
Nige
Adult
Adult

Postby Haggis on 08 Feb 2011 16:36

Nige wrote:Lovely lookin' fish Graham!

Is that a six line wrasse in the first one?

Yeah, it's a small one that I've added to try and curb a (so far) mini outbreak of flatworms. I had them in my old tank and a few must have made it over with a catphillia I moved across and they're now multiplying like crazy. However, neither it or my green mandarin have shown any signs of interest so I might have to resort to flatworm exit before things get much worse.
Haggis
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby Nige on 08 Feb 2011 16:47

What's your current demand on the balling chemicals?
Nige
Adult
Adult

Postby Haggis on 08 Feb 2011 21:52

Nige wrote:What's your current demand on the balling chemicals?

:D Hmmmm. Well.....

There was a slight "miscommunication" between me and the girlfriend when I was away with work last month and instead of 20ml of each (Mag, Ca and Alk) to be added twice, 200ml of each was added twice :roll:

It is my own fault really as I should have gotten my act together and sorted out the doser by now. A couple of water changes later and the Mag is a nice 1350 on the dot, Ca is still high at around 500 and Alk is the only thing I'm dosing at about 30ml per day. Because I'm not really dosing right now until things come back into line, I'm adding the GroTech A,B and C supplements separately.

I'm hoping to get the doser set up before the end of the week and get stuck into this properly.
Haggis
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby Nige on 11 Feb 2011 01:07

Haggis wrote:There was a slight "miscommunication" between me and the girlfriend when I was away with work last month and instead of 20ml of each (Mag, Ca and Alk) to be added twice, 200ml of each was added twice :roll:

DOH :?

Strangely calcium appears to be the least demanded on my system:

4ml Calc
5ml Mag
18ml Alk
Nige
Adult
Adult

Postby Haggis on 11 Feb 2011 14:08

Nige wrote:
Haggis wrote:There was a slight "miscommunication" between me and the girlfriend when I was away with work last month and instead of 20ml of each (Mag, Ca and Alk) to be added twice, 200ml of each was added twice :roll:

DOH :?

Strangely calcium appears to be the least demanded on my system:

4ml Calc
5ml Mag
18ml Alk

I'm surprised that your calcium demand is lower than the magnesium but the Alk is always going to be the highest. In fairness, the demands on your system will be low until you manage to fill it up with corals and they start to grow out a bit.

I'll be doing a 10% water change at the weekend and finally figuring out how I'm going to mount the doser - I was thinking industrial velcro to the inside roof of the cabinet but I'd hate if that gave way and the doser fell into the sump. I think a trip to B&Q to wander up and down the fixings aisle for inspiration is probably needed.
Haggis
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby Nige on 11 Feb 2011 16:17

Haggis wrote:I'm surprised that your calcium demand is lower than the magnesium but the Alk is always going to be the highest. In fairness, the demands on your system will be low until you manage to fill it up with corals and they start to grow out a bit.

I'll be doing a 10% water change at the weekend and finally figuring out how I'm going to mount the doser - I was thinking industrial velcro to the inside roof of the cabinet but I'd hate if that gave way and the doser fell into the sump. I think a trip to B&Q to wander up and down the fixings aisle for inspiration is probably needed.

Jim from seahorse used some sort of super strength glue to mount a shelf in my cabinet. If you look at the pic below it's only glue that's holding it up. The shelf was U shaped.

Not sure I'd have confidence in velcro. It'll still be glue that's holding each side of the velcro to the cabinet roof anyway.

Nige
Adult
Adult

PreviousNext

Return to Hard Corals