Coral Advise

Discussion section for sps and lps corals.

Coral Advise

Postby paulie975 on 19 Mar 2011 16:02

Hi All,

I bought a torch coral and kenya tree today from the LFS and wondering whats the best position in the tank for these. Ive read on the internet that the torch coral needs moderate water flow so how do I determine if it receiving moderate water flow or too much or too little?

At the moment the tentacles are waving about in the current but is not in direct flow. Also I have it placed in the middle as ive T8 lighting and i believe it need moderate lighting aswel, which is another question - how much lighting is moderate??

The kenya tree is receiving similar conditions to the torch at the moment.

Thanks in Advance
Paul
Quagmire: Hey there sweetie, how old are you?
Connie: 16.
Quagmire: 18? You're first.
Connie: Mom!
Quagmire: I like where this is goin'! Giggidy, giggidy, gig-gi-dy!
paulie975
Juvenile
Juvenile

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Coral Advise

Postby 40+ on 19 Mar 2011 17:37

I know it took me a week or two to determine the best position for my hammer. So long as there is decent movement there's decent flow.
If I placed mine in a spot that was low on water movement, it would retract.

As far as lighting goes, I have my hammer on the sand under MH and it seems happy enough.
40+
Sub Adult
Sub Adult

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby paulie975 on 20 Mar 2011 11:21

Not sure if its liking the spot I have it in. It has 10 heads and im yet to see them all open at the same time, Sometimes certain ones will open and others will close. Is this normal when first introduced into a new environment?

Also last night when I came home there was 2 or 3 long brown stringy looking things coming out of the torch coral. Any ideas what this was? It doesnt seem to be there this morning?

Paul
paulie975
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby Nige on 21 Mar 2011 21:45

paulie975 wrote:Also last night when I came home there was 2 or 3 long brown stringy looking things coming out of the torch coral. Any ideas what this was? It doesnt seem to be there this morning?

Hey Paul,

It's expelling excess zooxanthellae, shouldn't be anything to worry about. My frogspawn euphyllia does it from time to time.

If you've only T8s Keep her up nice and high.

N
"Practice a reliable attitude towards fish" Mister Booja Booja
Nige
Adult
Adult

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby maciek on 21 Mar 2011 23:50

as far as I remember light matters too. If you provide different light then it was under before it might take some time for coral to adjust to new conditions. Corals don't like sudden changes in their environment.
maciek
Fry
Fry

Postby paulie975 on 22 Mar 2011 10:33

I have it up high at the moment and it seems to be doing OK, its opening up all the heads now but sometimes its more lively than others??

Also I had to redirect my Koraila to offer a lighter flow for the torch so the water flow is directed at the surface of the water now, so how do I determine if there is enough flow in other areas now??

Thanks
Paul
paulie975
Juvenile
Juvenile

Return to Hard Corals