acro crabs

Discussion section for sps and lps corals.

acro crabs

Postby silverdollar on 20 Mar 2011 20:25

Just wondering what most do with acropora crabs, I bought a lovely blue acro stag which as usual came with an acro crab that somehow survived a dip in coralrx ;) , Is it better to leave them be as in the ocean or do some people remove them

paul
silverdollar
Sub Adult
Sub Adult

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: acro crabs

Postby 40+ on 20 Mar 2011 21:03

I have one in an acro since last November. It just stays there causes no problems.

Having said that there was a thread on this before and I think Acara had issues with a crab munching on a monti
40+
Sub Adult
Sub Adult

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby billy ocean on 20 Mar 2011 22:21

That was me and it munched away at the monti but I also had one in a acro and it seemed to be picking at the polyps.

Not sure about them...
He who sees things grow from their beginnings shall have the finest view of them.

Now that you found the forum become part of the club contact one of our Committee members or forum Admins
billy ocean
Administrator
Administrator

Postby bermo on 21 Mar 2011 02:04

id remove them if i where you! a lot of them are harmless but still not worth the chance also if the crab has white eyes remove it :!: this is a sign of a coral eating crab iv had my fare share of trouble with these crabs but all is well the last few months as far as these go.
bermo
Sub Adult
Sub Adult

Postby Haggis on 22 Mar 2011 21:20

It depends which type they are. General rule of thumb is that if they are smooth such as these:

Then they are usually safe and actually beneficial.

However, if they are hairy then get them out as they will, without doubt, eat the polyps.

These are the type you don't want.

Some say that a healthy coral can grow back the polyps and the crabs will protect it from other predators. I just got rid of a very small one of these, about the size if your finger nail (same as last picture) and it stripped the topside of a 3 inch long millipora branch overnight. Maybe in the wild it's true that it does no real harm but I'm afraid after paying a small fortune to stock and run my tank I won't be running a 5 star buffet for acro crabs. ;) I do however have 4-5 of the smooth ones on various corals and they do no harm at all.

For more photos of good acro crabs see here: http://www.chucksaddiction.com/coral_crabs.html
For pics of some other good acro crabs see here
Haggis
Juvenile
Juvenile

Postby bermo on 22 Mar 2011 23:59

E
Last edited by bermo on 23 Mar 2011 00:09, edited 1 time in total.
bermo
Sub Adult
Sub Adult

Postby bermo on 23 Mar 2011 00:03

Couldn't of put it better myself see what I mean about the White eyes in the last to crabs ;)
bermo
Sub Adult
Sub Adult

Postby silverdollar on 23 Mar 2011 00:16

ye had one of these in the tank before, couldnt understand why i was loosing polyps on 1 table acropora untill i seen him munching on them, removed him and within a week the polyps had grown back
silverdollar
Sub Adult
Sub Adult

Return to Hard Corals